Welcome to the CSM Library's resource guide for the College of San Mateo's Information Competency Requirement. Please use the tabs above to learn more about the requirement.
College of San Mateo defines Information Competency based on the standards from the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC).
Community college students must be information literate learners who can:
- Determine the extent of information needed
- Access the needed information effectively and efficiently
- Evaluate information and its sources critically
- Incorporate selected information into one's knowledge base
- Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose
- Understand the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information, and access and use information ethically and legally